Friday, February 13, 2009

My Life could be a Sitcom

This past Monday I received a very strange phone call. Let’s start from the beginning. For over a week my phone had been ringing at 8:30 am every morning. This is breakfast time in our home so you can imagine I was a little annoyed. I hadn’t been picking it up because I figured it was a telemarketer. Well on Monday I had, had enough, I thought to myself I’m going to answer that phone and give who ever is on the other line a piece of my mind. To my surprise when I answered the phone the person that they asked for was one of my husbands ex girlfriends; we’ll call her Barney (like the big purple dinosaur.) The conversation went something like this…
Me: Hello
Portfolio Recovery Man: Hello may I speak to Barney
Me: Who would you like to speak to?
Portfolio Recovery Man: Barney
Me: Can I ask where you are calling from?
Portfolio Recovery Man: Portfolio Recovery
Me: What are you calling for?
Portfolio Recovery Man: We are trying to collect a debt
Me: No, I’m sorry she never has lived her.
Portfolio Recovery Man: Do you know her or where she is?
Me: Nope
Portfolio Recovery Man: Are you sure?
Me: Positive, unless being my husbands girlfriend over 10 years ago counts
Portfolio Recovery Man: Oh okay
Me: Please remove our number from her account
Portfolio Recovery Man: Sure thing, no problem
I called Allwyn after receiving the call and you can imagine he was a little surprised by the phone call and confused as to how they linked him to her after 10 years. We both had more questions so we decided that I would call back and speak to someone about making sure that we were removed from the account. That conversation went something like this…
Portfolio Recovery Women: Hello Portfolio Recovery, How can I help you?
Me: Yes I would like to speak to someone about a phone call I received earlier about being a contact on someone’s account.
Portfolio Recovery Women: The name on the account?
Me: Barney
Portfolio Recovery Women: Okay, and what is your number?
Me: 000-000-0000
Portfolio Recovery Women: What’s your question?
Me: I would like to know how you received my number?
Portfolio Recovery Women: Well, Allwyn is listed on the account; you live on M------- Lane?
Me: No, we don’t live in California
The conversation continued and finally ended, unresolved. The lady was convinced that my husband lived with Barney in California. After speaking with a manager we were reassured that Allwyn was just a reference on an account years ago and in efforts to track Barney down they were trying every avenue.
How does this stuff happen to me? I just with Barney would pay her bills and leave us out of it!

No comments: